How To Use Blonde Toning Shampoo
Have you ever left the salon feeling fresh and amazing with your head held high, full of confidence? A few weeks later you find yourself hiding your dull and brassy tones between salon visits?
It might be that you aren’t using a blonde toning shampoo or using it correctly in between your salon visits. If you aren’t using one at all, let us explain to you why you should. Also, we will teach you what toning shampoo actually does.
Blonde shampoo’s what you should be using in your weekly hair routine if you find that you often get yellow tones. It’s also great if you experience brassiness or you’re finding your normally bright hair looking dull. It helps brighten your hair and get rid of the unwanted tones.
What Is Blonde Toning Shampoo?
There are currently two important toning shampoos you should be aware of. The first is the famous Purple No Yellow Shampoo which counteracts the yellow tones found in blonde hair. This shampoo works best for blondes that are at least a level 9 or higher.
You also have the Blue No Orange Shampoo which counteracts the orange tones often found in darker blondes. The hair level this works best on is between 7.5 – 8.5. Anything lower than a 7.5, light brunettes or even lightened Asian hair can also use blue shampoo to keep the brassiness away.
If you are unsure of what level your hair is, take a look at the chart below as a guide however it’s always best to ask your hair professional. There are a few differences between blue and yellow shampoos so it’s important to know which is best for your colour.
Now that you know what Blonde toning Shampoo actually does you might be wondering about the why does Purple and Blue Shampoo actually work? It all comes down to the simplicity of the colour wheel, whatever colour you want to eliminate can be done by using the colour adjacent.
As you can see purple is adjacent to yellow which means it will cancel the colour out and blue is adjacent from orange creating that same result. The more pigmented the Purple or Blue shampoo the more you will find a better result.
Step By Step Application – Public
You can use the shampoo for both extra toning at the basin or can be used at home for maintenance. Each of the steps vary depending on the intensity of results required but the overall process is the same. If you like the over toned look, leave the shampoo and mask on closer to the 5 minutes plus mark. Do the adverse if you prefer less noticeable results. The steps are as follows:
- Once in the shower, wet hair with warm water and wash once with regular shampoo to rid any product buildup or oils.
- Apply the No Yellow Purple Shampoo liberally over your hair ensuring full coverage.
- Leave for 2-10 minutes. The amount of leave-in time should reflect on how strong an effect you are wanting to see in your hair.
- Rinse out hair thoroughly in warm water.
- You should always apply a conditioner or mask to lock in moisture and condition hair.
- If you find your hair becoming dry after use you may want to introduce into your routine the Nutricare Hair Mask. It helps with hydration and nourishment. Alternatively, you can always use the sulphate free version – No Yellow Vegan Range.
- If you want the over toned violet look you can leave the No Yellow Purple Shampoo in your hair up to thirty minutes. If you chose to do this be sure you are using a Nutricare Shampoo and Conditioner. This helps to keep the hair healthy and nourished and prevent damage.
- As the shampoos are quite pigmented its best to use gloves to avoid staining your hands.
- If you have curly hair you should be looking into Sulphate free products. The Vegan No Yellow Range will be perfect for your blonde toning needs.
If you’ve read this and find yourself needing one or more of the products necessary to keep your hair bright and healthy or you’re looking for a Sulphate free solution you can find all your needs with Fanola. We offer a wide range of blonde toning product and Nutricare Products for all hair types.